Monday, July 7, 2008

She Surprises Me

Tonight was our first Pre-Goldfish swim lesson at the local park. I was really worried that CJ wouldn't leave my side or wouldn't get in the water without tears. In preparation, we picked up this special toy and talked about how she needed to 1) get in the pool without Mama; 2) listen to her teacher; and 3) not cry in order to receive the prize at the end of the week. The session is two weeks long, so we have a prize for each week.

She did great. Well, for 20-25 minutes of the 30 minute class. She seemed really comfortable in the water, let the teacher pour water over her head, blew bubbles, let the teacher hold her to float on her back and sat on the stairs with the 4 other preschoolers for kicking and splashing. She even bounced away from her group a few times until teacher Mackenzie reigned her in. Then, she spied me. And she possibly banged her knee. She got out of the pool and walked over to me with tears ready. Luckily I was able to convince her to get back in and finish the class. She played tag and let Mackenzie help her jump in.

I talked to the teacher afterwards and she thought CJ did great, but needed to stay with the group more. I agree. We'll see how she does tomorrow when Daddy takes her.

No comments: